Community Service Opportunities

Veronica Ramos Vargas, writer

The question that everyone asks themselves is why do we need community service as a requirement to graduate? I had the opportunity to interview Ms. Kane, I asked her couple of questions. One of the questions I asked her is what kind of community service is going on in our community and school campus? These are some opportunities that are in the bulletin, the recycling club, Salvation Army, any youth activities, Basketball, soccer, dance etc, younger students, IMACA, chamber of commerce, City of Bishop after-school program, City of Bishop Garden, NH healing Garden, Bishop library, Inyo county animal shelter, Bishop senior center, Bishop tribal elders program, Bishop High School Ag farm.

The top grade that signs up for community service is the freshmen, some of the seniors have put it off and now they’re scrambling around, last year was the first year that community service was a graduation requirement and several seniors were in danger of not graduating because of their community service.

The requirement is twenty hours of community service to graduate, that ’s only five hours a year.

Why is it community service a requirement to graduate? “ the board of trustees recognize that community service can enhance academic outcomes, helps students develop skills and knowledge necessary to become informed and responsible citizens and aid individual development.

Community service experiences may also motivate students by providing them the opportunity to apply to school and community needs, showing them that they can make a contribution to their community through involved citizenship.

How many students still need community service hours? There are 46 seniors who still need community service, that is 36%of the seniors class