Bishop Girls Varsity Basketball vs. Mammoth

Photo taken by: Alleah Plys

Paige Vance, Sports Staff

Big Bens Back in the Saddle

The Broncos girls varsity basketball team started their season with a scrimmage against Mammoth this Thursday. The coach and team are all excited for the upcoming season. The girl’s basketball program is now under the direction of Ben Arcularius. Ben is new to coaching girls basketball but has previously coached high school boys basketball. He is an alumni of Bishop Union High School. Ben says, “For our first game action, I was encouraged by how well the team was able to adjust and improve during the course of the game. We have a lot to learn as a squad, so showing the willingness to listen and implement new ideas is a great sign.”

Ben has big goals for this season and they’re not of championships. When we asked him about their goals he said, “My goal for this season is to get the team to enjoy the process of preparation. If we can learn to come into practice every day with the mindset of hard work and improvement regardless of coming off a win or a loss, our success as a group will fall into place.”

Last season the Broncos girls had a rough record going 3-7 when we asked the coach if this season was going to be better than last season he said, “Teams have to take each season one at a time without looking back. Just like they should approach games one at a time. The players that played in the program last year are knowledgeable, fundamentally sound players. That in itself is a success. I hope to be able to say the same about the players that play in the program after this season.”  

BUHS, Broncos, Basketball, Winter season, 2018-19 season, New Coach