Youth Educator Program

Allison Birkhimer, Writer

YEP is now taking applications

Have you not put yourself out there this year? Well the YEP(Youth Educator Program) club is now taking applications to be a part of this year’s peer education program.  Karen Kong runs this program, YEP is where you get the opportunity to inform incoming freshman about what to expect in high school. It is much more comforting to next year’s freshmen to hear about high school from students like themselves rather than teachers. This is also a great way to get involved in a school program.

If you get accepted into YEP you will have to attend 5 mandatory meetings to insure you know what you need to do when talking to the 8th graders. The meetings are held at lunch and provide you with free food. Once the time has come in either March or April, all YEP members will go over to the middle school for two days to talk to the 8th graders. That means you need to be sure that can miss a couple of days of school.

Something that is important to the YEP program is that students should be able to be happy, have fun, and participate fully in highschool life without using drugs. So it is important to encourage the 8th graders to make the right decisions about using drugs. In the YEP groups you with also be talking about personal experiences with students, so it is important to be supported of whatever they share with you. If you are not good at working with a group, then this is not for you. In YEP you will need to cooperate with the people around you to give a good learning experience to the 8th graders. This program will also help with your public speaking skills because you will be interacting and presenting things to the students.

If this program seems fun to you, go down to the guidance office and pick up an application. The applications must be turned in to Mrs. Anderen’s office by Friday, December 21st.  

YEP, Youth Educator Program, Karen Kong, BUHS, Bishop, High School