Blood Drive

Blood+Drive

Allison Birkhimer, Writer

This years blood drive exceeds Expectations

This years blood drive was a blood drive was a huge success and exceeded expectations.  The blood drive arrived on the morning of September 10th and collected blood from many students and community members through the day.

Last years blood drive had a total of 44 people donate blood, which means that this last blood drive did amazing with a total of 60 people donating blood. We estimated that about 40 of the people were students and 20 were community members. One of the reasons we think that this blood drive did so well is that they put it six weeks after the community one, giving people a second chance to do it. With the blood collected from just this drive, it will help about 165 sick hospital patients, each person helping about 3 people.

Despite what people might think the blood drive was very simple to do. Shelby Haye, a student who donated blood stated that the process of donating blood, “…wasn’t difficult, it only took a lot of time, it took time to ask all of the questions and make sure you are able to donate.”   When donating blood you are interviewed about many things such as your health, tattoos, piercings, and other basic medical things. They are overall just making sure that the you are eligible to give blood.

Besides helping people, there were other upsides to donating blood. Everyone who donated was gifted a $10 amazon gift card, and were entered into a raffle for a free trip to Hawaii. This blood drive did so well that the school is planning on having another blood drive in April.

Blood drive, BUHS, Bishop, High school