Bronco Round Up

• September 14REGISTER TODAY Juniors for the PSAT Today!

• September 14Homecoming Voting will be taking place during homeroom on Tuesday 9/18

• September 14Varsity Football vs. Whittier Christian today at 7pm. Gates open at 6pm

Speech and Debate

Allison Birkhimer, Writer

Speech and Debate Club has Started up for this School Year

Mrs. Greene accompanied by Amy Gaudet have started the back up the Speech and Debate club. They held their first meeting on September 13th, inviting anyone who is interested to come and join.  This club is a fantastic way to learn not only about debate like people might think but many other things, Amy stated “One of the biggest things that draws people to the club is the variety of things you can be interested in.”  This club includes doing things such as public speaking, acting, comedy, political subjects, and of course debating.

Speech and debate can also help you grow important skills that will help you with everyday life. Public speaking may not seem as useful as it is, but in reality it can assist you in things like job interviews, any job that requires talking, and just having a conversation in general. Amy noted “Speech and debate helps people learn skills of persuasion, of confident public speaking, in a medium that interests them.”

One thing that was stressed in the meeting was that the club can be for anyone. No particular qualities are needed to be in speech and debate, but the qualities you develop over time are leadership, confidence, and analytics. Gaining these skills can help tremendously for a shy or quiet person, though it might be scary at first. Having been a shy person before joining the club Amy explained “I think that speech and debate it’s almost like being thrown into a fire and you have to adapt to to it, once you get through it you come back out as a much more confident and persuasive public speaker.”

They will also being having 3 out of town competitions, one that may be held at Stanford. Amy mentioned in the meeting that competitions are one of the most fun things to do in the club. They all bond over their learning and understand of speech and debate, and learning while connecting with your colleagues and in what Amy would say “ One of the best ways to do it.”

Speech and debate, Amy Gaudet, Mrs. Greene, BUHS