New Student Senate coming to BUHS

New Student Senate coming to BUHS

This is an exciting time for Bishop Union High School! Student Government has always been around, but a new form is beginning and you must be a part of the movement. The new Bishop Union High School Student Senate will be kicking off our 2018 semester. The Bishop High School Student Senate is a form of Student Government dedicated to receiving and projecting the student body voice to the community and the Bishop Unified School District.

What is the Student Senate and how will it work? Well, the Student Senate can be thought of as a United Nations meeting, but for our school. Each Student Senate meeting will be run by the Student Senate panel and the meetings will always consists of student representatives from each organization on campus along with the general student body. Similar to the United Nations, the purpose of meeting is to communicate between leaders, groups, and students. The Student Senate is a gigantic communication device between students, clubs, staff, administration, School Board and the community. For example, imagine the “BUHS Butterfly Club” needs to raise funds for their Butterfly Extravaganza in the spring. So, to get some help with the process they approach the Student Senate and ask for help with paperwork or supplies for posters. The Student Senate has the supplies to assist clubs with projects such as this example.

However, the Student Senate has the ability to go beyond simply communication! The bylaws have been constructed in a manner to be amended  as the Student Senate Panel sees fit. The Student Senate Panel are leaders that are voted in by the Student Senate each year to run meetings and vote on specific issues that arise. Since this is the first year of the Student Senate the Panel members will be selected through an application process available to everyone. Within the Student Senate bylaws specific duties and representatives are mapped out. The Student Senate is for EVERYONE on campus to participate in and have their voice be heard. Keep an eye out for more information about the first official meeting and how to express your voice!

-Jordan Kost

Below is the official Student Senate Bylaws

The Bishop Unified School District Student Senate Bylaws

Mission Statement:

Bishop High School Student Senate is a form of Student Government dedicated to receiving and projecting the student body voice to the community and the Bishop Unified School District.

Student Senate Panel:

The student senate must have the following representatives in order to be a valid Bishop High School Student Panel:

1 Social Club Representative (Voting Power)

1 Community Outreach Club Representative (Voting Power)

1 Cultural Club Representative (Voting Power)

1 School Implemented Program Representative (Voting Power)

1 ASB Representative (Voting Power)

1 athlete (Voting Power)

3 students (Voting Power)

1 ASB secretary (No Voting Power)

The Student Senate will have a total of 10 committee trustee’s; 9 of the 10 trustee’s have voting power. The power to vote is reserved for panel members only. Voting enables the Panel to enact rules and motions for the student body and clubs to abide by. Within the Panel, official titles are placed on a representative through a student senate voting process. The Panel must have a Chairman, Vice Chairman, and treasurer to lead the meetings. The Chairman conducts meetings and the Vice Chairman covers when the Chairman is not present. The treasurer has an updated record of all club finances. Treasurer is responsible for setting a Student Senate Budget for each year.

Meetings:

The Student Senate Panel is responsible for upholding the following policies during and after Student Senate meetings:

1. Calls the meeting to order.
  2. Calls for the Pledge of Allegiance.
  3. Responsible for maintaining a professional meeting atmosphere.
  4. Encourages and sets an example in leadership, citizenship, courtesy, and school spirit.
  5. Announces agenda to group or makes it visible to group.
  6. Follows the agenda and brings up items in logical order.
  7. States the questions, and announces the vote after every decision (if necessary).
  8. Recognizes members who wish to speak.
  9. Allows equal opportunities for members to express opinions.
  10. Allows equal opportunity for non-members to express opinions.
  11. Listens attentively during discussion.
  12. Accepts reports.
  13. May declare debate closed on a certain topic.  
  14. States all motions
  15. May order a standing vote or show of hands.
  16. Summarize and evaluate often.
  17. Always adjourns meetings.

After Meetings:

1. Evaluates the meeting, the group, and self.
  2. Checks the reports and minutes.
  3. Sets the machinery in motion for the next meeting.
  4. Lists items to be checked, delegates responsibilities.
  5. Must report meeting summary to ASB the following day.
  6. Must report meeting summary to School Board Meetings.
  7. Must Report meeting summary to City Council Meetings.

Panel Membership Requirements:

• Average GPA of 2.0
  • Every Panel member shall uphold the Bishop Union High School name and the Bronco Way. Failure to follow the Senate bylaws may result in an impeachment from your office position.
  • Any participation in illegal activity shall result in an immediate expulsion from the panel. A panel re-election is held the following meeting for a new panel member, if necessary.  
  • Discussion about future voting matters with other panel members outside of meetings are prohibited.
  • No panel candidate shall be denied the right to run based on race, religious background, disabilities, sexual orientation or political affiliation.

Team Priority: (TBA by panel)

Addressing the Panel:

Those who wish to request an agenda item may do so by submitting the request in writing, along with supporting documents and information, to the Student Senate Chairman or Secretary at least 5 school days prior to a scheduled meeting. Those wishing to address items on the agenda may do so when the Chairmen opens discussion to public comments while the item is being considered. For items not on the agenda, there is an opportunity to address the Panel when the Panel Chairman opens comments from the public. The Board shall not take action on such items at that meeting.

*Unanimous vote must pass for any amendment of these bylaws*