Divide and Conquer: JV Mathletes Awarded 1st @ Kern Valley High School 11/8/17

Bronco Blue!: The JV Mathletes are decked out in their blue gear to represent BUHS in Kern Valley on November 8th.

Jeniffer Velazquez

JV Mathletes come out on top in KV

The BUHS Junior Varsity Mathletes took on seven other schools at Kern Valley High School on Wednesday, November 8th. With a whopping 27 points, the JV students came out victorious against the 62 other students who attended the meet that day. Contributing to the score we have Rachel Fitt, Mahdi Ayman, and Jordan Cooper, all with an individual score of 6 points and therefore tying for 2nd individually. Also giving their brains to the team are Clara Place and Scott Hennarty, with 5 and 4 points respectively. Madison Foster, Ace Selters, Tyler Banta, and Sierra Burror also contributed to the team score at the meet.

Each meet is made up of 5 rounds; each round lasting 10 minutes with two problems to solve. Although this task may seem simple, the questions range from fairly simple to complex. Here is an example of what the Mathletes had to solve at this meet in Round 2:

Write the equation of the line through (-1,3) and parallel to the line 3x+5y=15 in slope intercept form.

The JV Mathletes will have a chance to compete again on January 18th, 2018 at Trona High School.