Heading to the Rocky Mountains: Journey to a Christian University

Gabi Cortez

I remember the first time I stepped foot on the Colorado Christian University campus. I asked myself, “Is the truly the kind of environment I want to be in? Is this the place I want to call my home for the next four years?” I can remember it wasn’t that cold, but as soon as a breeze hit, I needed about 50 jackets. I can also remember my dad’s facial expression, look at me like, “You want to go to a christian school?” and me just smiling and saying “I love it here.”

For the longest time, I felt lost, but my faith was something I was always turned to. The golf coach showed me around the whole school and all the programs that CCU offered. I was just so excited to have finally found a place I can call home. Moving from California to Colorado is a huge step, however. Although this is not going to be an easy transition, I know that God has this planned for me.

I am mainly excited about all the other incoming freshman and how we will all be able to connect on the same level. All of us worship the Lord in the same way and I cannot wait to be in the community with them. This past weekend, I was at the Scholarship Recognition Weekend for all the students who received academic, athletic, or other kinds of scholarships. I was so happy to meet my roommates, as well as other freshman. We got to mingle, share our stories, get our class schedule, tour the campus once more, and be with people who are ready for the next part of our life.

Like I mentioned before, I was not sure if I was ready to go to a Christian school, but as soon as I saw the people and saw how much support this school had, I knew it was the right place for me. If you are feeling worried about whether or not you want to attend a school like this, I promise you, it is totally worth looking into.

I have been so grateful to have found this school, and I can already tell that this school has lifted my spirits in the short amount of time I have been committed to it. I would love to see more people in Bishop attend a school like this because I feel like it is a perfect place to feel close to God and not have people judging you because these people are worshiping him with you. I cannot wait to see what he has planned for me and my soon to be classmates.

Colorado, BUHS News, Christian University, CCU, Colorado Christian University, BUHS