Jennifer Velazquez: “The Day That Music Died”

Ben Holland

Arts and music have always been a big part of high school and a significant part of many teenagers’ lives. Recently, due to budget cuts, BUHS has removed the Choir program amongst a couple of other classes. I interviewed Jennifer Velazquez who is angry and disappointed with the school board’s decision to cut Choir.

Jen has been in Choir for almost two years now and has had an excellent experience in the class. She finds the class very rewarding and a comfortable place where she can express herself. She said, “In choir, I can be myself; I don’t have to be anyone else. I can be who I am and not what other people want me to be.” Jen also added, “Choir is just a fun class. I like singing and in Bishop there aren’t a lot of opportunities to sing. Really the only place to sing in front of an audience besides Playhouse productions is in choir.”

Like many other students, Jen feels that the cutting the Choir program was the wrong decision and strongly believes “they made a bad decision.  It seemed like the Board didn’t care. I feel bad for the Seniors next year who can’t participate in their favorite class. I feel bad for the teacher, Ms. Lanane, who won’t have a job.” The teacher Ms. Lanane has had a large impact on the choir students’ lives.  Jen first met Ms. Lanane in sixth grade when she did her first play. Ever since, Ms. Lanane has been a compassionate and inspiring role model. Jennifer explains that Ms. Lanane “has always been that person who keeps my head up.  She is a really understanding and caring person and is always there for me when I have problems. It’s nice to have her at the school because she connects with some of the students that many teachers can’t connect with.” For Jen, Choir is a comfortable place and a place where she can relax from the stresses of high school.

Although Choir won’t be around anymore, Jen feels that more art classes should be implemented throughout the school. “The arts allow students to express themselves. Art and choir are classes in which students can escape from the everyday hussle of school and forget about the stresses of life.”

BUHS, Choir, student life, profiles, Jennifer Velazquez, Ben Holland