Daily Bulletin, January 17

TODAY’s ANNOUNCEMENTS:

HEY, SENIORS:   Your 2nd payment is due TODAY for the Grad Nite Trip!  Questions or have your payment ready today? See Mrs. Terrasas in the main office.

TRACK MEETING TODAY!  All students who want to join the track team should plan to meet in Mrs. Van Nest’s room (#202) TODAY at lunch!

BASEBALL:  Mandatory Practices for NON‐WINTER Athletes starts TODAY at 3:30 at the BUHS Field.  Physicals and complete athletic packets must be turned in!  Pick up a January Practice Calendar in Room131 (Frigerio).

SOFTBALL PLAYERS:  Practice for NON‐WINTER Athletes starts on TODAY at 3:40 at Bishop City Park Field #1.   Physicals & complete athletic packets must be turned in!  Questions?  See Coach Van Nest in room 202 or the athletic director’s office in the afternoons.

FIRST SNOW CLUB TRIP IS TOMORROW – WEDNESDAY, January 18th!   Students participating are still responsible for all classroom & homework assignments! As always, trips are dependent upon weather/road conditions! ASB STORE has just received a new shipment of snacks.  We will be closed for inventory until Wed. 1/18. thanks for your patience.

LIONS CLUB SPEECH CONTEST:  Students who have previously signed up must bring their DRAFT speeches to Ms. Helfrich Holland’s room TOMORROW ‐ WEDNESDAY, January 18th @ lunch.  We will critique and plan our BUHS contest.  Failure to attend (or discuss absence prior to meeting) will impact your standing for the contest. Questions?  See Ms. Helfrich Holland.

INTERACT MEETING:  Thursday, January 19th in Mrs. Greene’s classroom.  There will be pizza and discussion about the upcoming Sn Diego Trip.  Hope to see you there!

YEABOOKS ARE FOR SALE!   Don’t wait until the price goes up – get yours now in room 204 at lunch or right after school.  $75  and check or exact cash please.  Thanks!

CSF ENROLLMENT DUE  on Friday, January 27.  If you earned mostly A’s/B’s on your semester report card, you may qualify for CSF.   5 hours of community service must also be submitted with your application.  Applications and Service Hours Forms are in the Guidance Office AND on the “Students” section of the BUHS website: http://buhs‐bishop‐ca.schoolloop.com/CSFScholarship

CSF SENIORS: to receive CSF High Honors you must qualify and submit application/service hours on time: by January 27th. Qualifying during senior year is a High Honors requirement. Questions? See Mrs. Andersen.

COMMUNITY SERVICE OPPORTUNITIES:

SENIORS:  Deadline to have your graduation requirement of 20 hours of community service completed is Wednesday, May 10th.  Put it in your calendars!  See guidance for other community service ideas/opportunities!

 COMMUNITY SERVICE OPPORTUNITY:  January 28th at 9 AM, meet at the Paiute Shoshone Cultural Center to van‐pool out to Rattlesnake Village: a pre‐historic site on the volcanic Tablelands for site restoration.  This is with the Eastern Sierra Land Trust.

SENIOR SHOLARSHIPS (visit the Guidance webpage for current information on scholarship opportunities)

 Edison International Scholarship: Seniors with a 9‐12 gpa of 3.0 + who are planning to major in one of the following STEM fields: math, engineering, computer /information services, management information systems natural resources, conservation and physical sciences,  should apply for this $40,000 scholarship ($10,000 each year for 4 years).   To apply visit: https://www.scholarsapply.org/edisonscholars/   Deadline: February 1, 2017

 Senior Scholar Athletes:  Don’t forget the CIF Scholar Athlete of the Year scholarship application is Due to Mrs. Andersen February 1st. This application is extensive and requires recommendations and signatures. You must have a 9‐12 unweighted GPA of 3.5 and be a Varsity athlete in your senior year. See the Guidance Scholarships website for more info.

 BISHOP ELKS:  Senior Scholarship for seniors with a parent or grandparent belonging to the ELKS Club: deadline February 3rd

REPEAT NEWS:

PARKING LOT:   If you are not a SENIOR with parking privilege, do not parking in the main parking lot.  Also, the Visitor’s/Temp parking spaces ARE NOT for students.

PLUS MEETING: The next meeting is scheduled for Monday, January 23rd at lunch in Mr. Rowan’s room.  Please come!  We need you to help plan our first BUHS Forum!

INCLEMENT WEATHER:   Our administrators will initiate an automated phone call via our District system to announce any delays or cancellation of school due to inclement weather.  Please make sure we have your most current and reliable telephone number on file to receive any important message from our school and/or District Office.  If your parent would prefer to receive a TEXT, please provide a reliable cell phone number.  Also, announcements will be provided by our local radio stations.

FYI:  Parents must always make the decision of personal safety and if a student stays home due to inclement weather, the absence will be considered “personal” and may result in possible make‐up of that loss of school attendance.

LIBRARY/CHROMEBOOK OVER DUE LIST!   You have been added to the list if you failed to renew or return a book/Chromebook/charger as scheduled.  Please return ASAP this week or be prepared for a bill to be mailed home.  Also athletes, a bill can affect your eligibility status!

STOCK UP ON YOUR SCHOOL SUPPLIES FOR 2nd SEMESTER!   Get your pens, pencils, paper, binders, notebooks and highlighters in Mrs. Tonseth’s (room 133) before/after school, and during break/lunch.  The best deal in town! SPRING ATHLETES!  Get your physical packets in ASAP!  Don’t wait until the last minute!

CLUB MEETINGS & OTHER WEEKLY/MONTHLY EVENTS:

 LANGUAGE & CULTURE CLUB: Every Monday at lunch in Mrs. Greene’s room (209).

 LATINO CLUB: Every Tuesday in room 302 at lunch!

 DETENTION CLUB:  Tuesdays (Mrs. Helfrich Holland, room 206); Wednesdays (Mrs. Greene, room 209); Thursdays (Mrs. Gianopoulos, room 205); Fridays (Mrs. Tonseth, room 133) arrive no later than 3:20 PM.

 HOMEWORK HELP:  Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, in Mrs. Quintana’s room (207).  4:30 Bus available!

 AFTER SCHOOL MATH SUPPORT!  3:25 – 4:30 in room 203. Tuesdays & Thursdays

 DRAMA CLUB every Wednesday at lunch in the Green Room.

 OPEN MIC ON THURSDAYS!  Sponsored by HUGS during lunch!

 HUGS CLUB:  Every Friday in Mrs. Greene’s room (206 at lunch!)