Booing A Freshmen, Is It Okay?

Seniors+

Seniors

Riley Phillips, Writer

On May 25, 2023, the annual Senior Send-Off rally where the incoming freshmen are introduced to the harsh realities of high school. Seniors, juniors, sophomores, and freshmen alike boo the incoming freshman, a tradition tracing back for generations. But as old as the tradition comes with the age-old question, is it okay to boo the freshman? 

Seniors, juniors, and sophomores all remember being booed at their first Senior rally, yet none of them were negatively affected by this. While it’s a debate while it’s a stereotype or the truth that freshmen are annoying, nonetheless they will be boo’d by the high school students.  Most freshmen when they come into high school are high-headed, thinking they are at the top of the world, over-confident, and rude to others. Booing at the freshman is just giving them a reality check. Reminding them they are no better than the rest of us. 

On the other side of this, should we be setting this kind of example for these 8th graders? As older kids, we should be setting a good example for them. Coming to high school could be a scary time for freshmen, a whole new campus, and new people. And with Upperclassmen booing at you, could create the idea that the high school is an unsafe environment. As upperclassmen, our job is to be kind respectful young adults for we are the next generation of government leaders, doctors, teachers, etc