Stacy Van Nest, Bishop Union’s Sports Leader

Alexea Sigler

Stacy Van Nest has been the athletic director at Bishop Union High School for 7 years. The single hardest thing she had to do as an athletic director “is call the CIF central section commissioner and forfeit a championship game.” Some of the downs “are the crazy hours and always being available for my coaches, so my phone is constantly blowing up.” And another one of the downs “would be telling a student they can no longer be a part of the team for grades, or drug tests, or other discipline.” The ups of this position “is being there for my student athletes and coaches. Any victory they earn, I feel a part of too.” More positives would be “the contacts I have made with many other adults (something a teacher doesn’t get too much of) both in our community and at other schools.”

She teaches Math 1 Honors, Math 2 Honors and Math 2B. Mrs. Van Nest followed up with “I hate math! I teach math because I feel like no one could ever break it down so I could understand it easily. That is my goal as a math teacher, to take something someone thinks is hard and impossible and through learned skills be successful at it.”  

Mrs. Van Nest also coaches Varsity Softball, she has been coaching since she came to BUHS for the 2000-2001 school year. Her favorite High School sport is softball because, “It was my first love in sports and I never have to give myself a hard time for not having me follow the rules. However, each of the 27 teams that I am the athletic director have their unique positives and things that I like about them to keep doing this crazy job!”

bishop union high school, bishop union, bishop ca, softball, varsity softball, stacy van nest, athletic director, sports leader