Broncos Cross Country Girls Win first at CIF Division 4

Chloe Almeida, Sports Editor

Broncos Dominate and Move on to State

November 17, 2016 at Woodbury Park Fresno California, the broncos moved on to their first post season race, running in the Central Section Championship race. The excitement arose as teams and crowds gathered with tents and well taken care of track suits. The aroma of freshly cut grass and white chalk filled the surrounding area. The roller coaster like hills where people warmed up had the reminants of chalk left from last year’s race. The broncos were ready.

The boys team went first, placed in block 10 they got pumped for the race and did a couple warm up miles and then intimidated the other teams  with warm up drills consisting of  ” B “skips, high knees, butt kickers and a few strides to get out the last minute gitters. The starter had everyone line up behind the line, the runners tensed up as he called, ” runners take your marks, get set,” and in that momentous pause the adrenaline went surging, the gun fired and they took off for the first mile of the race, moving the opposite direction of the straight away  and onto the roller coaster hills. The sound of pounding feet rang through the race almost as loud as free way behind the concrete wall.  They zoomed past the first mile with the first racer at a 5:00 minute mile. The bronco boys came in looking strong, and went in for their second mile. The second mile consisted of a loop around a small fishing pond and then more rolling hills until it hit the grass of a down hill. After the grassy hill was the asphalt pounding against the various running shoes, moving down toward the end of the second mile. The third and final mile went back over the roller coaster hill, and up the straight away to the big arch where the boys sprinted to the finish all in the battle to make state. The Bronco boys came in looking exhausted but most shaved off a substanial amount of time. The boys placed 7th in their division.

When the boys finished it came time for the girls, they went for a warm up most talking about stratedgy for the race. Hearts pounded as the time for the race counted down and the coach announcing to the team that Bishop girls were predicted to get first at CIF. The girls did their warm up miles and then took on the warm up drills. The girls lined up and and got ready for the biggest race of the season so far. The starter had a few hesitations as the gunman couldn’t get the starting pistol to fire. Then finally the gun went off and the girls stampeded in a herd scratching their way to the front. They made their way to hills and the stride changed from long to short and fast, arms propeling the girls up the hill to the down hill leading to the end of the first mile and striding down the hill toward the pond and then ending their second mile racing back down the hill. The third mile the paced picked up even faster at the finish line could be scene from a quater of a mile away. Sprinting toward the finish Rachel Fitt came in 2nd for the entire race, other girls placing were Arianna Pope and Emma Place. Cheers and yells of happiness rained from the Bishop crew as 1st place was given to the girls team, the runner up for teams was Rosamond, the broncos won another race against rosmond leaving coach Heidi Eldrigde ,,” Proud for my team, the girls did exactly what I wanted them too, and I am so happy for their victory.” The Broncos will move onto the State Race at the same park. GOOD LUCK BRONCOS!!!!

Rachel Fitt, Emma Place, Arianna Pope, CIF Central Section, CIF Central Section Division 4 girls, BUHS Cross Country, Bishop Union High School