My Opinion on Success!!!

Liza Joya

A Grievance

We all are allowed to have a grievance but it may be time to speak up about it when the problem bugs your daily life. Now in Bishop Union High School where I currently attend, we are required to take a class called Success. In many opinions, including my own success is not necessary if the student knows what he or she wants to be. I respect the fact that the course is trying to open up our horizons to see other careers. As well as wanting us to succeed but how do they want us to succeed yet put some students in unnecessary classes that are worth no credits. Some students are in extra curricular activities that require staying after school and traveling once a week. While those students can be doing homework during homeroom to be able to go to bed earlier. We are forced to take success during homeroom leaving us with an overload of homework that teachers give us to finish after practice. Not to mention that each teacher leaves about an hour of homework which adds up to about 5-6 hours of homework, when it can be reduced to 3-4 hours if we weren’t forced to take success and left the class as a option. I am not saying to cut the program overall but just simply want the school to stop wasting those students time who find it pointless and make it optional for those students who find it helpful. We thank the school for wanting us to succeed and trying to help us do it but Success is not going to help most when we know what we want. We simply need those 45 minutes of class to do homework and have more sleep. The national sleep foundation recently stated that students run better on more sleep and increases the brain’s ability to take in knowledge. So why not consider making Success an optional course during homeroom.
Success