Bishop Players and Fans Get Heated During Game Against Rosamond

Alexis Eide, Journalist

Bishop Union High School boys Basketball played a very passionate game Friday against Rosamond High School with a final score of 91-55.

Athletic Director Stacy Van Nest states the BUHS crowd got more passionate as the total number of fouls called became more and more unbalanced. The player and spectator anger with officiating grew to the point were the referees asked fans to be removed from the gym. 

“During the game, the official is the one in charge of the game and they get to make all of their calls,” Van Nest said. “If they want a spectator gone, they can stop play until that person is removed from the building. The same goes if they want to eject a player or a coach.”

Despite there being some disappointments in the events that occurred during the game from Bishop losing and crowd/player complications the game was very enthusiastic and one to have watched. Athletic Director Van Nest touches on the fact that she does not have control over what officials we get for our games, she simply puts in a request with the scheduler.  

“I am allowed to say I have put in a formal request to not have that particular official back this season, but that is not guaranteed.” Van Nest said. 

Finding officials for our games have been hard this year and often result in the officials having to travel.

“If any adult is interested in officiating they can reach out to me and I can put them in touch with the right people so they can start to become one of the officials we pull from.” Van Nest said.

The boy’s Bishop Basketball team bounced back in their next game, winning 81-32  on Saturday,  January 30th traveling to Cal City.  The Broncos won big at California City playing without two teammates who were ejected from the heated Rosamond game.  After missing out on a season last year due to Covid, Van Nest indicates that it is never fun to pull kids from competition but that’s the case when an athlete is ejected from a game. 

“This is a very unfortunate situation,” Van Nest said.  “Our indoor sport competitions are so hard to make happen due to COVID and the worst part of my job is telling students they cannot play.”