Bishop Union High School Softball Beats Boron

Lyndsey Rowan, Writer

On Tuesday, May 11, the Bishop Broncos softball team played an intense game against the Boron softball team. It went into 9 innings, and after a hard fought battle, the Broncos came out victorious 10-9.

The Broncos were behind up until the 4th inning. That is when the lead started fluctuating between the two teams.

Offensively, the Broncos were successful in hanging on long enough to clutch the victory. Freshman Baileigh Momberg was 4 for 5 with a 2 run homer to tie the game in the bottom of the 7th inning. Sophomore Jayda Jackson hit 3 for 4 with a home run and an RBI (run batted in).

The ninth inning of the game was arguably the most exciting. The Bronco softball team was down by one. They needed one run to tie, and two to win. Senior Kayla Rodriguez made this possible with a powerful triple, which caused junior Kayla Jackson to score after she got on base with a bunt. Jackson’s run tied the game.

After getting on third base, Rodriguez was switched out with junior pinch runner Lyndsey Rowan. She was knocked in by a solid hit to the outfield from sophomore Deborah Fallingstar, whose game winning RBI secured the win for the Broncos in the bottom of the ninth. After the run scored and the game was won, the Broncos rushed out of their dugout for a hearty celebration at home plate.

Pitching was key to the Broncos’ victory that day. Senior Jazmyn Dondero toughed out all nine innings and pitched the entire game. She had a total of 11 strikeouts.

Defensively, the Broncos had many 3 up, 3 down innings, so the game went by quicker than expected. There were many catches in the outfield as well as plays in the infield. Jayda Jackson had an “ESPN moment” as the team likes to call it, with a catch and a dive out in right field.

“I personally think that it was one of the best games that we’ve played in,” Kayla Jackson shares.

“The chemistry was on point,” Rodriguez pipes in. “The team didn’t give up, we were pushing and pushing.”

“The girls did a fantastic job of fighting and never giving up,” Bishop head coach Stacy Van Nest says. “It was a true team effort needing the encouragement of every one of our players.”

The Broncos are now at 4 wins and 1 loss in league overall. Their next game is a home game against Mammoth on Monday, May 17th.

2021, Bishop Bronco Softball, BUHS, softball, Sports, Spring season