A Junior’s Survival Guide to the Girls Powder Puff Football Editorial

A Juniors  Survival Guide to the Girls Powder Puff Football Editorial

Chloe Almeida, Sports Editor

Junior Opinion on the Powder Puff Game

October 17th, 2016 the Junior Class took on the Senior class in a Powder puff football game. The juniors haven’t won this game in four years, and the administration had put a lot of pressure on keeping this tradition going. But what exactly is the tradition behind this game? I asked myself this too, the other thing that seemed appealing was beating the senior class, but little did the juniors know that the game had been rigged. While the seniors are in their last year of high school and every memory should live up to what the senior fantasy is about,  let’s stop and think about the Juniors, shouldn’t we have a fair game and an actual chance to win against the senior class? Hasn’t the Senior class rule over us for too long? Aren’t we sick and tired of the term they used  called ” Seniority”? That’s what this junior class wanted, but little was it granted. ( Apologies to the seniors, warning seniors you most likely won’t like this article so turn back now) 

Both teams had practiced for two days and, from what the junior class had heard, were not supposed to practice on the football field. Later on, two people had originally gone ghost hunting around the school and found that the senior class had been practicing on the football field. The two people later talked to the junior class coach Trace Sapp who had specified that both teams were allowed to practice on the field. Another issue that had risen was one of the Senior coaches spying on the junior class. Now I even have to admit I did spy on their practice but that was only because we saw the senior coach spying on our practice. ( Sorry Seniors)

As the junior class we practiced twice once on the baseball field and the other on the football field, the practices were good for team bonding, we got a long as a team very well and Trace Sapp and Dillon Ellis had given us some good plays to use.

When it finally came to the game, the juniors were already prepared for a blood bath, due to the dagger stares that both teams were giving each other while Mr. Cook had been addressing us all about playing safe. There was tension rising as each team got prepared with the warm up before the game. The seniors practiced out in the open of the football field while the junior class took the dark area of the baseball field. The time ticked by and the game began. Immediately the senior class went straight in confident, was it because they were excited for the game? Or was it the fact that they knew they were going to win no matter what? Whatever it was it helped them.

Around two minutes into the game the dirty fouls started.  I personally was punched in the face and had blood dripping from my nose and wiping it on whatever I could so I could continue playing. Hair was pulled, Kiley Beard had made an amazing 25 yard catch and  wasn’t pulled down by her flag but by her hair. My original thought when I heard this was, “What the Heck (can’t fill in the actual word,)” how could this be worth hurting friends? After a couple minutes of being pinched, pulled, punched, kicked, and cat fighting that the seniors were doing to our class, the juniors decided to fight back. Sara Voss, blocking Kali Barrett while Sarah was on the defense was a legal play, yet the junior class received a 5 yard penalty.

Kali Barret did a great job scoring two touchdowns for the Senior team, and having a total of 105 yards worth of gain. Other great plays were made by Hannah Goede. A big thanks to the seniors coaches Alan Torres!

The Juniors came back hard with a touchdown made by Sara Voss and field goal made by Sara also kicked a field goal for the Junior team. It was 7-6 in favor of the Juniors, we were pushed back to the 20 yard line, with 10 minutes on the clock. Erika Ellis passed the ball to Jade Whiteside and the Jade ran the ball, one of the Senior girls had attempted to reach her flag and missed by a lot and fell face down on the ground, Jade paused as the Refs had made a whistle, Trace Sapp said, “You still have your flags, Run Jade , All the way!” The Juniors followed behind, celebrating! Screaming and shouting erupted from our own players and the score board was changed to 13-6, did the juniors have a chance? That’s what we thought until the refs had conspired about the play and said that Jade was had been blocking her flags. How do you block your flags when you have one hand carrying the ball and the other hand out to propel yourself to gain yards? From then on when our points were taken we knew that the game had been rigged. The only way the junior class would win is if we were already blowing the seniors out of the water with the score board. Isn’t that what happened four years ago the only other time the Junior class had won against the seniors? All the other games, the juniors have lost. Our team was about to make BUHS history and yet where was the fair game?

If it had been a fair game, it wouldn’t  have been dirty, we wouldn’t have over half of the junior class ripped by their hair, pulled down by their legs, punched in the faced, bruised and battered and scratched just so the senior class could hold up their reputation of being the best,  and the cream of the crop. If the seniors wanted to be the top maybe the game should have been played fair without rigging so they would win fairly.

As a future senior, I’d rather win for real instead of having the game rigged so it seemed like we won. Please comment below the thoughts of the game, and we want to hear from everyone. Apologies to the senior class, if you have an issue with the article please comment in the box below. As a junior I would also like the thank the senior class for putting up a good fight during the game, and would also like to thank ASB and board for letting this game happen.

Homecoming BUHS, Powder Puff, Homecoming 2016, Trace Sapp, Jade Whiteside, Kiley Beard,  Sara Voss, Erika Ellis, Dillon Ellis