Broncos Adjusting to Distance Learning

Emily Hembree, Writer

Distance Learning Challenges Students Focus

This year at Bishop Union High School, and most other schools, is very different due to Covid 19. Everyone is dealing with it in a different way and running into many obstacles along the way. 

The schedule for distance learners is interesting. They are expected to go onto either zoom or google meet (depending on what the teacher does) at certain times everyday. 

On Mondays and Wednesdays they sign into their first, third, and seventh period classes. On Tuesdays and Thursdays they sign into their second, forth, and sixth period classes. 

They also have both morning and afternoon meetings. For morning classes they sign in from 8:05 until 12:10. They then get a 40 minute break for lunch. Then, they have to also sign into the same classes in the afternoon from 12:50-2:30.  

Some teachers also don’t want the students to sign in during the morning session which makes it more complicated because they have to remember which teachers want what. They only have this schedule Monday through Thursday. Fridays are basically just a work day to finish everything for the week.

Nimrit Khurana, a sophomore at BUHS, is a full time distance learner.  Like many students she has had a difficult time adjusting to the demands of the new schedule. 

“Some difficulties of full online classes is that I don’t get a full understanding of the material, compared to kids who do hybrid learning.” Khurana said. 

She believes that it is more relaxing to do distance learning, which could be a good or bad thing. 

“I’m more easily distracted at home because I’m not stressed out enough to do my work, at home I’m relaxed but at school the stress keeps me going.” Khurana says after being asked if she is more focused or distracted being at home. 

Khurana was also asked how she’s keeping up with her grades when she believes she isn’t getting as much help. 

“My tactics to keep my grades up are to have set times as to when I work and study, along with making sure to give my mind a break and a change of scenery sometimes.” 

She was asked about her opinions on the schedule and she said “The best part of distance learning is having independent work and only having 3 classes a day. My mind is not constantly overwhelmed with 7 classes.”

Distance Learning, BUHS, Nimrit Khurana, Home, Independent Work, School from Home