Bronco Wrestling Recap from a Busy Week

Justin Wulf, Sports Reporter

Last week our Bronco wrestling team had a very busy schedule, with a duel against Desert at home on Thursday, and with only a few days to prepare, they travelled to El Monte in Southern California to compete in a very important tournament hosted at Arroyo High School. 

The Desert wrestling program has changed completely from previous years,  Coach Mark Hodges said, “All Bronco wrestlers are in their first or second year of wrestling and Coach Costello and I are very pleased with how they wrestled. Several years ago, when the Bishop wrestling program needed help, the Desert coach helped keep our program running. We hope to return the favor by helping them this year, where and when we can.” Three of the broncos wrestlers received forfeits and there were only five official matches which all ended in pins. The final score was Broncos 48, Desert 0.

The Bronco wrestling team traveled to El Monte in Southern California to compete in the last chance tournament at Arroyo High School, with 37 teams competing this was a big tournament for them. Carson Schmidt wrestling at 124 pounds, had 2 wins and 2 losses. Joseph Red Owl also went 2 and 2 and finish in 8th place. Jacob Lomantewa wrestling at 156 pounds, won 3 matches and lost only 1 earning himself a 3rd place medal. Overall, the team won 12 and lost 19 matches.  

Bishop Wrestling team, Bishop Broncos, Bishop union sports, Jacob Lomantewa, Bishop vs desert, Bishop last chance tournament