Bronco Football Claims CIF Championship

happy+yelling

happy yelling

Paige Vance, Sports Editor

Saturday Bishop’s varsity football team won the school’s 3rd CIF Section championship. The Broncos won 34-7 joining the ranks of the 2010 and 1957 teams. Bishop will now advance to state bowl game for Division 6A on Saturday the 14th. 

Saturday night the Broncos opened a 13-0 halftime lead on touchdown runs by Luke McClean and Steven Paco. McClean then connected with Joe Weaver on a 32-yard touchdown pass on the opening drive of the second half. Joey Molina ran in the two-point conversion making the score 21-0. McClean and Jon Torres added second-half touchdown runs capping the scoring. The Bronco defense held Orosi to just 7 points. Seniors Jaydan Braithwaite and Darren Dondero both had 1st half interceptions. Sophomore middle linebacker Kennedy Batchelder added 8 solo tackles to his season total making him the top tackler in CIF Division 6. Batchelder also had one and a half sacks Saturday night.

The overall player of the game was senior Luke McClean, he completed 8 of 10 passes for 152 yards and a touchdown. McClean rushed 21 times for 141 yards and two scores. Defensively McClean made 7 solo tackles and helped lead the defense in holding the #1 scoring team in the division to only 7 points. Offensive player of the game was Joe Weaver. Weaver caught 4 passes for 79 yards, including a 32-yard touchdown on the opening drive of the second half. Weaver also had an amazing night on defense, he had 5 pass breakups, a season-high. Tristan Valle was defensive player of the game with 5 solo tackles including a quarterback sack. Special teams player of the game was Carson Evangelist. He had two solo tackles and an assist while playing on every special teams unit. 

Championship, 6A, BUHS, Broncos, Football, CIF Champions,