Winzenread Takes The HDL Title

Jordan Winzenread

Brooke Winzenread wins HDL Championship title

Jordan Winzenread, Sports Staff

Brooke Winzenread Crowned League Champ

The Girls Tennis High Desert League finals were held by Bishop at the Bishop City Park on Tuesday, October 22. The top 6 girls from each school in the league are selected to participate in the finals in order to compete for league titles and continue on to CIF.

For the Bishop Girls Tennis Team, the top six were Brooke Winzenread and Sydney McAdams in singles and Jacee Carpenter, Madison Foster, Elizabeth Poncho, and Hailey Bragdon in doubles.

Doubles team Jacee Carpenter and Madison Foster won their first-round against Kern Valley winning 6-1 in both matches. Their second round they were crushed by Rosamond losing 6-2 and 6-3. Next Hailey Bragdon and Elizabeth Poncho played and lost 6-1 and 6-2. They then lost their next game 6-1 and 7-5 in their elimination match.

Singles player Sydney McAdams was defeated in the first round 6-1 and 6-0 knocking her out of the finals.

Brooke Winzenread played a total of 3 games scattered throughout the day, ultimately taking home the HDL League Championship title. Her first game she won against Rosamond 6-0 and 6-1. Next up was Desert’s number one tennis player and Winzenread swept her away winning 6-3 and 6-4. Lastly, it was undefeated Winzenread versus Rosamond’s undefeated number one as well. With a rocky start, Winzenread lost the first match 6-3. She then took charge in the next match-winning 6-3. With each girl having won one match, it was taken to a tie-breaker and Winzenread took it home winning 11-9 and became the champion of the day.

On November 1, Winzenread will be moving on to play in the CIF Area Tournament down in Bakersfield, CA.

BUHS Sports, BUHS Girls Tennis Team, HDL Champions, Bishop Union High School Sports, Brooke Winzenread, Jordan Winzenread