Broncos Dominate Burroughs

Isaias Rios

Justin Brooks, Clay Omohundro

Paige Vance, Sports Editor

Broncos vs. Burros

The Broncos hosted the Eastern Sierra Football Classic an annual rivalry game between the Bishop Broncos and Burroughs Burros. Last year the Broncos took home the rivalry trophy, and they got on the field Friday hoping to do it again.

The Broncos scored one touchdown in the first quarter and held the Burroughs at 0 until the fourth quarter where the Burroughs scored one touchdown and successfully completed a PAT making the score 7-6.  Bishop wasn’t going to leave those points unanswered. On the first play of the ensuing drive, Jaydan Braithwaite caught a pass from Omohundro completing an 82-yard touchdown. 

Darren Dondero then intercepted a Burroughs pass setting up Luke McClean’s 35-yard rushing touchdown putting the Broncos ahead 19-6. To end the game Senior Ian Murphy intercepted a Burroughs pass. 

Bishop’s QB Clay Omohundro had 262 passing yards breaking the Broncos previous record for single-game passing yards held by Kyle Batchelder in 2012 with 225 yards.  (records are for the “maxpreps era”)

Luke McClean earned himself player of the game with 93 rushing yards and 85-yards receiving. Braithwaite was named offensive player of the game with 149 yards receiving and Sophomore Walker Rost-Kruger was named special teams player of the game. 

Defensive standouts include Tristan Valle (2 sacks), Kennedy Batchelder (2 tackles for a loss), Jordan Lopez (sack), Joe Weaver (6 total tackles), Jaydan Braithwaite (6 solo tackles), Anthony Diaz Campos (5 total tackles), Joey Molina (sack, tackle for loss), and Eddie Ray (sack, and a forced fumble). Next up the Broncos travel to Sierra High School, Tollhouse.

Broncos, Varsity, Football, BUHS, 2019, Luke McClean, Clay Omohundro