MAP Testing Arrives

Adii Becerra

Board Meeting on Sept. 19, 2019

Allison Birkhimer and Shania Womack

MAP Testing

If you attend Bishop Union High School, you most likely know about the MAP Testing we have taken recently. This past week all grades have had to take a series of Math and English tests. The school board has decided they want to try out a new testing site called MAP in order to help teachers better understand what they need to go over in class to ensure their students get the most out of their education. 

MAP, also known as Measure of Academic Progress is a testing system designed to help teachers better understand where their students stand and what information they might need to introduce again in math, reading, and English. 

To an outsider, this testing system seems harmless. But when all of the BUHS students arrived at school on September 25th and were met with the surprise of an hour-long test. Some of us had been told by our teacher prior to the test that is was a new testing system enforced by the new superintendent; Jon Ray, but that was the extent of their knowledge on the subject. 

Students then proceeded to take an hour-long test that they knew little about. The time period that was given was an hour. Out of the classes we surveyed, on average only 2 kids out of classes of around 20 students finished on the first day. Students did the same thing the next day, finishing the first test. But on Friday the school extended our homeroom class to 2 hours. Most kids took around an hour and a half to finish the tests. 

But many kids admitted to having a lack of motivation on the last day of testing. Multiple parents at this months school board meeting argued that that amount of testing is just too much for the kids, especially if the testing is going to be enforced in elementary school. After 6 hours of testing over the course of the week, everyone gets worn out. 

But the biggest complaint from everyone including teachers, students, and parents was the lack of communication. On the day of the testing, nobody knew anything about the test or that it was even happening. 

With the little information, students had about the test prior to taking it, many students felt as though the test had no point and didn’t benefit them in any way. Sierra Burror, a junior at BUHS said, “Initially, I was furious that such a huge portion of our valuable homeroom time would be taken, and that a significant chunk of instructional time would be compromised for a test that has no significance to our academic future.” and Nicolette Maxey, a freshman mentioned that, “..the MAP testing was unnecessary, teachers should see what their students know through talking with them and helping them, not a rushed test.”

Many students were also furious about the fact that they had to waste time taking a test that wasn’t really necessary for their success. Burror also mentioned another point, “This course-specific feedback, with comparable results, and known benchmarks is a much more objective method of ascertaining student progress.”

With the majority of the students not supporting this testing site and with skeptical parents, the question arises…will we continue to use MAP testing?  Only time will tell. 

MAP, Test, Jon Ray, BUHS, 2019, Superintendent, Students