Brooke Winzenread Rules The Court

Brooke+Winzenread

Brooke Winzenread

Jordan Winzenread, Sports Staff

Q & A With The Number One Tennis Player

Brooke Winzenread is a returning sophomore tennis player for BUHS. This is only her second year of playing tennis and she is up and at it being the number one singles tennis player on the team. Last year in doubles Winzenread and Molly Foster won the HDL Finals hosted at the Bishop City Park. So this year, Winzenread has the bar set high for her to compete.  Luckily, I had the chance to ask her some questions before practice. 

Q: How do you keep yourself in shape all year so that you are prepared when the tennis season comes around?

A: I enjoy a lot of activities like soccer, snowboarding, wake-boarding, surfing, and hiking which are activities that keep me in shape year round.   

Q: What do you like about playing tennis? Why do you even play tennis? Do you prefer singles or doubles?

A: I really like that tennis is competitive and you can play with almost anyone whenever you want and I really like my team. I enjoy playing both singles and doubles – it is always fun to play a match with your teammate.

Q: What goes through your head during a match?

A: During a match, I am thinking about whether or not my return of the ball was to the best side so that it would be harder for the opponent to get and I could get a point. I also think about whether or not I put enough power behind my serve and returns and what would’ve happened if I hit the ball lighter or harder. I am constantly strategizing my plays in my head and trying my hardest to win.

Q: How do you remotivate yourself if you are losing sets?

A: I remotivate myself by telling myself to calm down and taking the time to notice what I am doing wrong so I can fix my mistakes. 

Q: What are your overall opinions about this year? How do you think you will do? Are you prepared?

A: I feel like this year will be fun, all the girls on the team have good attitudes which adds to the fun. I think we will do pretty well as long as we put time into practice to get better. I feel like overall we are prepared however we can always use practice to become even better as a team.

BUHS Sports, Bishop Union High School, Bishop Union High School Girls Tennis Team, BUHS Tennis, BUHS Athletes, Jordan Winzenread