Daily Bulletin, January 24

TODAY’s ANNOUNCEMENTS:

TWO HOME BASKETBALL GAMES THIS WEEK!  TONIGHT vs Cal City and TOMORROW vs. Desert!

INCOMPLETE GRADES DEADLINE:   Wednesday, January 25.  Stop by the guidance office for a grade change form.

SADIE HAWKINS WINTER WONDERLAND DANCE!  Saturday, February 11th in the East Gym.  Tickets will be $10 with ASB and $15 without.  We will announce ticket sale dates in the bulletin!

LIONS CLUB SPEECH CONTEST:  See Mrs. Helfrich‐Holland for deadlines and contest dates!

ROTARY INTERNATIONAL SPEECH CONTEST!  Freshmen, Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors are eligible to compete to win $1,000!  Deadline to sign up is Friday, February 24!  Contest will be Tuesday, February 28th.  Winners in our area will have a chance to compete against other area winners in Reno NV!  See Mrs. Andersen in the Guidance Office for rules and an entry form!

THE RAVE PROGRAM is partnering with other programs and departments within the Bishop Paiute Tribe and Wild Iris to host a dance for middle and high school youth.   The dance will be held at the Barlow Gym on the evening of Friday, February 24th from 7‐11pm.  Join us for an evening of dancing and great music.  For more information call the RAVE Dept. at 760‐873‐9018.

REPEAT NEWS: CSF MEMBERS:  Volunteer math tutor needed for 8th grade math!  See Mrs. Andersen!

RETURN YOUR BOOKS!   If you have changed classes this semester, return your books to your 1st semester teacher.  Student bills will be coming soon!

YEABOOKS ARE FOR SALE!   Don’t wait until the price goes up – get yours now in room 204 at lunch or right after school.  $75  and check or exact cash please.  Thanks!

MANDATORY GOLF MEETING:  Thursday, January 26th at lunch in room 2002.

CSF ENROLLMENT DUE  on Friday, January 27.  If you earned mostly A’s/B’s on your semester report card, you may qualify for CSF.   5 hours of community service must also be submitted with your application.  Applications and Service Hours Forms are in the Guidance Office AND on the “Students” section of the BUHS website: http://buhs‐bishop‐ca.schoolloop.com/CSFScholarship   CSF SENIORS: to receive CSF High Honors you must qualify and submit application/service hours on time: by January 27th. Qualifying during senior year is a High Honors requirement. Questions? See Mrs. Andersen.

SPRING ATHLETES!  Get your physical packets in ASAP!  Don’t wait until the last minute!

COMMUNITY SERVICE:

SENIORS:  Deadline to have your graduation requirement of 20 hours of community service completed is Wednesday, May 10th.  Put it in your calendars!  See guidance for other community service ideas/opportunities!

 COMMUNITY SERVICE OPPORTUNITY:  January 28th at 9 AM, meet at the Paiute Shoshone Cultural Center to van‐pool out to Rattlesnake Village: a pre‐historic site on the volcanic Tablelands for site restoration.  This is with the Eastern Sierra Land Trust.

SENIOR SHOLARSHIPS (visit the Guidance webpage for current information on scholarship opportunities)

 Edison International Scholarship: Seniors with a 9‐12 g.p.a. of 3.0 + who are planning to major in one of the following STEM fields: math, engineering, computer /information services, management information systems natural resources, conservation and physical sciences,  should apply for this $40,000 scholarship ($10,000 each year for 4 years).   To apply visit: https://www.scholarsapply.org/edisonscholars/   Deadline: February 1, 2017

 Senior Scholar Athletes:  Don’t forget the CIF Scholar Athlete of the Year scholarship application is Due to Mrs. Andersen February 1st. This application is extensive and requires recommendations and signatures. You must have a 9‐12 unweighted GPA of 3.5 and be a Varsity athlete in your senior year. See the Guidance Scholarships website for more info.

 BISHOP ELKS:  Senior Scholarship for seniors with a parent or grandparent belonging to the ELKS Club: deadline February 3rd

CLUB MEETINGS & OTHER WEEKLY/MONTHLY EVENTS:

 LANGUAGE & CULTURE CLUB: Every Monday at lunch in Mrs. Greene’s room (209).

 LATINO CLUB: Every Tuesday in room 302 at lunch!

 DETENTION CLUB:  Tuesdays (Mrs. Helfrich Holland, room 206); Wednesdays (Mrs. Greene, room 209); Thursdays (Mrs. Gianopoulos, room 205); Fridays (Mrs. Tonseth, room 133) arrive no later than 3:20 PM.

 HOMEWORK HELP:  Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday, in Mrs. Quintana’s room (207).  4:30 Bus available!

 AFTER SCHOOL MATH SUPPORT!  3:25 – 4:30 in room 203. Tuesdays & Thursdays

 DRAMA CLUB every Wednesday at lunch in the Green Room.

 OPEN MIC ON THURSDAYS!  Sponsored by HUGS during lunch!

 HUGS CLUB:  Every Friday in Mrs. Greene’s room (206 at lunch!)