Head Volleyball Coach Stepping Down After 10 Years

Rebecca Quintana and Hunter Beall, Sports Staff

Coach Frigerio Steps Down From Head Coaching Position at Bishop Union High School

Coach Frigerio has been coaching volleyball for over 10 years, and despite being finished with high school volleyball, her reign isn’t over yet. She plans to continue coaching for club volleyball, which is actually going on now. Frigerio has been coaching around 1-3 traveling club teams for the last five years. Recently, her club teams have been traveling out of town to participate in tournaments.

Below is a series of questions I asked Frigerio about her coaching career:

What was your best moment as a volleyball coach?
“That’s impossible to answer! There’s never one best moment! One of the best was hosting and winning our CIF playoff game this year. The pure joy of the players was overwhelming. You can actually feel it from the picture.”

What was your best or top favorite year of coaching?
“I’m very fond of 2013-14. It was a better year when we beat the mammoth and Cal-City tournaments; we were also rewarded the Outstanding Sportsmanship Award at the Yerington Tournament. Being league champs was fun too.”

Why did you retire from coaching volleyball?
“Haha- I’m not sure I am ‘retired,’ but I’m taking high school off in order to be able to give back to my own family. I want to have the free time to visit and watch Syd play for college and attend all of Jake’s games as well.”

What made you begin coaching?
“I coach for the love of volleyball and all sports. I thrive on seeing improvement in players and teams. I believe coaching and pushing young people to be their best carries into everything they do. I think I am as much of a life coach as a volleyball coach.”

Have you ever coached schools besides BUHS?
“Locally, I’ve coached at Round Valley before coming to the high school. I loved having 3rd-8th graders on my teams back then.”

Did you play volleyball in school?
“I played volleyball four years in high school, and four years in college. I played two years in NAIA and the other two for the division 1 school, NCAA. I also played beach volleyball for about seven years after college.”

Bishop Union High School, BUHS sports, High Desert League, Bishop Union Volleyball, High School Volleyball