Drinking Down the Consequences 

Bleeding bottle: every 15 minutes a person dies of an alcohol related crash

Chloe Almeida, Sports Editor

Viewer’s Discretion Advised

Sirens, Blood, Fire Department, Paramedics, and the morgue. BUHS Juniors and Seniors received a wake up call, and drank down the consequences of drinking and driving. Every 15 minutes provided the scene making a bone chilling enactment of a drunk driving car crash on Pine Street.  Students crowded around the scene watching their classmates covered in blood surrounded by bottles of alcohol.

First to make the scene was the Bishop Police Department and Highway Patrol. They evaluated the scene and took the pulse of the body that was splayed across the ground. They next turned to the girl that lay with her arm hanging off the side of the truck and found that she showed vital signs. After this the police reached the 4 crash victims in the two vehicles.

Next to the scene was the Fire department, they rushed out of the truck and checked on each victim, then evaluated the vehicles. Paramedics rushed to the scene and immediately set their sights to the victim that lay on the ground. After checking her vitals they concluded her death. They moved on to the girl in the bed of the Ford. The gurney was brought out and they slowly moved her on to the gurney and rolled her away to the back of the ambulance.

As the paramedics checked the vitals of the other 4 victims, police pulled victim 1 out of the red car, and moved on to standard DUI procedure. Victim 1 was patted down given the DUI tested, and moved into the back of the Police car. Victim 2 the female in the same car was immediately cared for. They placed a neck brace around her neck and supported her back as she was transported from the car.

In the white ford, victims 3 and 4 were evaluated, victim 3 the driver was taken from the car and put through the same procedure as the victim 1. Victim 3 was also arrested. Victim 4 was treated. The souls viewed behind the red car looked upon the car crash and walked away as the hearse drove away with the dead victim.

The enactment was extremely moving, it echoed in the students hearts and created an environment of  utter sorrow. Some being touched personally while others came away with the thoughts of, ” I never want this to happen to me or my loved ones.”

• In 2014, 9,967 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (31%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States. …
  • Of the 1,070 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2014, 209 (19%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.
  • Every 15 minutes one person dies as the result of alcohol related collisions
Chloe Almeida
Bleeding bottle: every 15 minutes a person dies of an alcohol related crash.
Chloe Almeida
Vitals for the Dead: Police check for pulse in victim
Chloe Almeida
Looking on: Bishop PD looks on to the job he has to do.
Chloe Almeida
Sit in a seat: Victim in back of truck carried out by paramedics
Chloe Almeida
Gurneys and gear: Bishop Fire Department helps with moving the victim into ambulance

Chloe Almeida
Red Car With Red Stains: Victim regaining consciousness from crash
Chloe Almeida
Whiskey and blood: Victims in ford truck moves around from shock of accident
Chloe Almeida
Pat Down and protocol: Victim gets pat down before being placed into the police car.
Chloe Almeida
Bagging the dead: Victim is declared dead and taken in a body bag to later be placed in Hearse.
Chloe Almeida
Following the DUI: Driver goes through DUI protocol and is later arrested.
Chloe Almeida
Drinking Down the Consequence: Driver arrested for drinking and driving causing the death of a teen aged girl